The Met E3 Seasoning
How great steaks become legendary
Introducing The Met E3 Seasoning – our proprietary chef’s blend, available to home chefs for the first time ever!
At The Metropolitan Grill, we’ve been serving the Best Steak in Town since 1983, and the best steaks demand the best seasoning. Our signature E3 seasoning was developed by our original chef, Earl Owens, and has been a closely held secret for years. Now we invite you to try our classic steakhouse seasoning blend on steaks, burgers, chicken and vegetables. Use it in place of salt to add more flavor and take your favorite home meals to a whole other level.
Can’t wait to get your hands on some?
The Met E3 Seasoning is now available for purchase!
And join our email list to receive more insider grilling tips and recipes.
HOME GRILLING TIPS
Even if we’re not cooking for you, we want you to enjoy the best steak possible.
- Select a great steak: Choose a steak with a high amount of marbling that is at least an inch thick. Great steaks for grilling include strips, ribeyes, and filets. If you want the kind of quality meat you get at The Met, we recommend ordering from us!
- Set meat out and season: Pull your steaks out of the fridge 20-25 minutes prior to grilling. Steaks closer to room temperature will cook more evenly and create better grill marks. Season generously with The Met E3 Seasoning (seriously, don’t be shy).
- Get the grill HOT: Our preference is grilling over live fire to get the best flavor possible. Most grills need to preheat for at least 10-15 minutes. A hot grill is necessary to sear in the juices for the first few minutes of grilling. After the initial sear, adjust the heat as needed to avoid charring.
- Only touch the steak 4 times: Place the steak on the grill at 45-degree angle. Halfway through grilling the first side, rotate it 45 degrees to create diamond grill marks. Once finished grilling on that side, turn it over and repeat the process.
- Let it Rest, Then Enjoy! After grilling to your desired temperature, remove it form the grill and allow it to rest for at least 3 minutes before serving. This will allow the juices to settle in, resulting in a juicier and more flavorful steak. If you’re slicing, remember to cut against the grain of the meat for a more tender bite. And not it’s time to indulge. Cheers!
Want to get Met-Quality Meat at home? Order from us!
For the first time ever, you can order our signature steaks to grill at home. The quality of our beef and the care with which it’s treated are at the heart of our success. Double R Ranch Prime Beef, meticulous cutting standards, custom dry aging… this is simply the best steak available. This is what your grill would ask for Christmas. We’re offering ribeyes, strips, filets and more, for delivery or curbside pickup.
A Storied Seasoning
If the Food Network existed in the 1980s, Earl Owens would have been an Iron Chef. He was a staunch advocate for simple, highest quality ingredients long before it was popular, and he left his stamp on numerous iconic Seattle restaurants. As Corporate Chef at The Met, Earl defined the standard of quality and service for which we’re still known. His legacy is a big part of why we’re consistently recognized as one of the Top 10 steakhouses in America, and we’re grateful that two of his grandsons are still working here to carry it on.
Earl was an innovator and a relentless perfectionist. He knew that delivering the best steak meant every detail had to be perfect. The quality of the beef, the cutting, the aging, the grilling, the plating. And of course, the seasoning. Since nothing commercially available met his standard he developed — and obsessively perfected — his own.
The E3 name pays homage to Earl and his pursuit of perfection. What you see before you today is the third iteration of his signature blend. Whenever we’ve shared samples with close friends, they have begged for more. We finally took the hint, and we’re making it available to our guests and the community we value so much.
Great steak starts with the meat, but this is how you take a 9.5 to a 10 (maybe even an 11). And you can also use it to add depth of flavor and richness to burgers, chicken, fish, and vegetables. Try it on your favorite dishes, and be generous… Earl was a generous guy — as the portions The Met reflect — so season in that spirit!
From our kitchen to yours, here’s to eating exceptionally.